NorCal Cannabis Company
Legislative and Regulatory Strategist – Santa Rosa, CA
While purposefully not (yet) a household name, NorCal has been developing and shaping the legal cannabis industry since 2016. We have quietly become a serious vertically-integrated collection of business and brands across Northern California, with more on the horizon. Next year will mark our “coming out” moment as we begin introducing retail and product experiences that will lead, legitimize and broaden cannabis culture in the U.S. and other markets. Put simply, we are going to redefine the term high growth.
We are a fast growing start up in an exciting industry, looking for the perfect candidate who is passionate about policy.
In this role, the Legislative and Regulatory Strategist acts to ensure NorCal Cannabis Company is engaged in the regulatory and legislative landscape affecting the company at the state and local level. Additionally, this role will support our government relations and public affairs work.
- A demonstrated ability to identify important pieces of information from voluminous amounts of legislative and regulatory proposals across dozens of governmental jurisdictions. These findings will be communicated and analyzed through reports, memorandums, and presentations in a clear manner to company decision makers with brevity as an essential responsibility for this role.
- Legislative and regulatory tracking and strategy for California cannabis opportunities on a local and state level; Own database of cannabis regulations and become the in house cannabis regulatory expert.
- Support government relations and public affairs at the local and state level.
- Follow, examine and analyze legislation and regulations and provide detailed reports about how the legislation will influence the organization's activities.
- Excellent at understanding and interpreting regulations and legislation.
- Extensive research, coordination with internal and external company compliance and advocacy resources. This includes meetings with executives and government officials as well as contacting outside experts to request additional information.
- Track changes to cannabis, employment, workplace safety, land-use and other key policy areas across multiple jurisdiction and communicate potential risks and opportunities to senior management through clear verbal and written reports.
- Other duties - not limited to; organize meetings, presentations for conferences and coordinate official visits from elected officials to NorCal Cannabis facilities. Travel and attendance at conferences, meetings, hearings and seminars as well as traveling to company sites will be required regularly.
Key Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree a must in Political Science or Business, Graduate Degree preferred
- 2-4 years of relevant legislative/regulatory experience required
- Knowledge of state legislative processes
- Knowledge of local legislative and land use processes
- Contract administration including working with external vendors
- Ability to analyze and interpret state and local legislation
- Work independently and establish work priorities
- Follow and implement executive management directives
- Strong and effective communication both verbally and in writing
- Excellent Interpersonal skills
This position reports to the Chief Compliance Officer. Please send a cover letter, resume and LinkedIn profile to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is in our corporate office located in Santa Rosa with local candidates being considered.
NorCal Cannabis Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.